Welcome from Crafty Chicita

A big welcome to old friends and new. Follow my crafting adventures as I take you on a journey through the daily life of a creative crafter. Experience the successes and disappointments that are all part of my working day, but most of all, enjoy the ride.

Wednesday 27 January 2010

Back in the Saddle

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!! I can not believe I'm saying this, but I just got on my horse this morning and rode him for the first time since my awful fall in August. I was not planning to do this, or indeed to ever get on any horse ever again after what happened, but my friend rode him a few yards today and I just went for it, in the wind and the rain and totally unprepared. I was wearing jeans and wellies, but did have the hat and body protector on. It was amazing, and way better than chocolate! Needless to say, my camera was sitting on a shelf at home, so there are no photos for you to see.

Let me fill you in on some of the details. On August 5th, a beautiful sunny day, my friend and I decided to canter our horses across an open field, except something spooked Sid the Sod (my horse) and he bolted, my feet came out of the stirrups, I lost my grip on the reins and was bouncing about for a quarter of a mile as he accelerated into a fast gallop. Eventually I landed, taking all the impact in one spot, a lumber vertebra, which of course fractured. I spent a week in the hospital from hell, the first 4 days of which I was not allowed to move a muscle, and eventually discharged myself from that horrible place, wearing a back brace with metal rod up the front. This back brace was worn for 4 months. I'm told that it will take another few months for me to be as healed as I'm going to be. I remember crying my eyes out as I lay unattended for the first 2 hours after arriving in hospital, not because of the pain which was unbelievable, but because I knew I would never get on a horse again. And even this morning, I told myself that even if I was tempted, I was not going to even sit on him.

I feel as though I have achieved so much by doing this small thing, and I expect that tomorrow morning I will have a struggle to get out of bed, but it was soooo worth it!

7 comments:

  1. Thats brilliant news, well done you!! The best thing to usually do is to get straight back on, but obviously in your case that was impossible at the time. It must have felt so good, it sure made me smile reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you..
    You have addressed your demons..
    Heres to your continued improvement all round

    Eira xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I'm feeling good about it, but I know that my bottle will have gone again next time, especially if I go to the farm intending to ride. Much better to just play it by ear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really awesome, good for you to overcome your fear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for commenting on my blog--I am very happy to have found yours too :D
    Namaste♥ The only thing you have to fear is fear itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Namaste back at you! Fearing fear itself is one thing, but you haven't met Sid the Sod. He is scared of his own shadow, literally, and spooks at bikes, umbrellas, the colour pink, and much more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a morning! Well done for facing your fear and for coping so well since your fall. I hope you heal fully both in terms of your back and your relationship with Sid! Thanks for your comment today, I really am just twiddling my thumbs a bit! xo

    ReplyDelete